Design tips for webinar presentations?

How you display your content plays a huge role in your audience experience. Do you have any tips that you can share with the rest of the community?

Something that helps us out is creating a template that contains fonts and divider slides to keep things looking consistant. This is especially useful for our digital weeks where we will have about 30 decks to make sure they are good to go. The template usually makes it possible to reduce the number of decks that have to go to our design team.

No bulletpoints ever

replacing bulleted info with images or icons to talk to instead

We try to really limit the number of words on each slide. We don't want anyone reading along with a presenter, but rather listening to their content and in the same vein, we want the presenter to add some improvisation along the way.

This is a great resource.

When it comes to text, less is more!

We use a corporate mandated design template. But content is our choice. So I always try to keep it simple. Three icons or points per slide max. If slides are complex then only speak to high level concepts.

I require presenters to send high-res images so I'm able to resize and crop. I add images and themes into all promotion, banners, slides and console.

Great tip. Nothing worse than a presentation where you feel like the presenter is just reading from the slides. Bullet points are a slippery slope that takes you in that direction.

Also, people shouldn't be able to read ahead.

A lot of strange presentations out there where all their points on a particular subject appear simultaneously – prompting you stop listening and start reading.

Yup. A lot of strange presentations out there where all their points on a particular subject appear simultaneously – prompting you stop listening and start reading.

Very strange approach. The opposite of engaging.

There are ton of sites that offer free stock photos. There's really no excuse for a lack of imagery/boring imagery. For instance, Burst, which was created by Shopify "to empower designers, developers, bloggers and entrepreneurs to create stunning websites and marketing campaigns."

And, as a bunch of users stated above, stay light on content so that participants are listening to the presenter rather than reading slides.

Much like other responses, less is more. The less text the better. If you can show a visual image instead of bulleted text, you have a better chance of the viewer to actually listen. There's no reason to have bullets when you just are going to read them as it. Make your point verbally but with imagery.

1 Like

Using visuals that show data work best for us. For example when talking about forecasts, we show a forward curve graph and then speak to the points. You can easily do that with bullets, but the visual is more interesting.

We have a few templates that we use. Some are very simple; others are more picture/graphic heavy. We also try to match images on the console to the images we use in the invite and on the landing page so it creates the same look and feel for each webinar.

We like to keep our background well designed and pleasing, but simple. If you throw in too much, we think it distracts from the actual webinar happening.

I've seen a number of people introduce too many colors and fonts into slides and they are very distracting. We use a design template that provides guidelines for fonts, color and number of points. We use a 4 bullet rule. No more than 4 bullets on a slide. Many of the bullets people start with should be moved to their talking points.

1 Like

We use images in our PowerPoints and video where applicable. I always tell our design team that less is more when it comes to text on the screen. If they need text it should be minimal and NOT word for word what i am going to be saying. They used to always put paragraphs on the screen and i said people should not be reading when we want them to focus on what we are saying. We also try to keep the same flow throughout each PowerPoint in terms of design and fonts. We are selling Travel so high res images are very important.

Don't try to squeeze as much text as you can on one slide. How useful is the information if nobody can read it? Great content and design doesn't need flashy animation to bettter the presentation.

A clean, easy to read design helps but also graphics and examples are an attention grabber.